Unlike most software of traditional applications, smart contracts don’t run on your computer or somebody’s server: they live on the Ethereum network itself.
This means that to be able to interact with them, first they have to be deployed to a blockchain.
During development of your DApp you can deploy it on:
What is a smart contract?
Smart contracts are a way to decentralize the controlling logic and payment functions of applications.
You can think of a smart contract replacing a server-side (“backend“) component in a regular application.
Development of DApps backend
You can learn more here
By choosing hosting / domain for a DApp, there are options:
- centralized – standard hosting service (most likely in AWS, GC or Azure) / DNS
- decentralized – IPFS, Swarm / ENS
Development of DApps frontend
How to host your DApp with IPFS + ENS
Interface + IPFS – by Uniswap
What are DApps and how they differ from classical Apps?
Ethereum and Solidity launched in 2015, only a handful of years ago, that is why DApp and smart contract development is just getting started.
Each aspect of any application can be somewhat centralized <-> or decentralized.
- frontend – can run on a centralized server <-> run on your device as a mobile app
- backend and storage – can be on private servers and proprietary databases <-> you can use a smart contract and peer-to-peer storage
DApp is an application that is mostly or entirely decentralized, although in the Ethereum ecosystem as it stands today, there are very few truly decentralized DApps.
In the future, it is expected that it will be possible for every part of any DApp to be operated in a fully decentralized way.
Development of DApps
Language specific resources
Infrastructure vision for Web 3
Every block contains a list of transactions. In Ethereum there are two kinds of transactions between accounts:
- simple transactions – transactions between accounts containing a value in ETH
- smart contract calls – transactions from accounts to a smart contracts that will trigger code execution
Transactions – overview
What is Decentralized Finance?
Decentralized finance (DeFi) are financial smart contracts, decentralized applications (DApps), and protocols built on Ethereum, that can be pieced together like a Lego.
Financial DApps are one of the hottest use case of Ethereum at the given moment.
Why use DeFi?
As the size and complexity of our economies grew, central authorities (i.e. governments, central banks, corporations) gained more power as more people placed trust in them. However we often have very little say in how corporations handle our investments, or even how our governments manage the economy.
DeFi aims to create a financial system that’s open to everyone and minimizes one’s need to trust and rely on central authorities. Technologies like the internet, cryptography, and blockchain give us the tools to collectively build and control a financial system without the need for central authorities.
You just need an internet connection and will to learn to use DeFi.
What can you do with DeFi?
There are several use cases of DeFi:
– Lending – lend or borrow tokens and also earn passive income
– Decentralized exchanges (DEXes) – buy, sell, or trade cryptocurrencies or tokens
– Derivatives – trade nearly any asset using synthetic pricing
– Payments – transfer funds by using payment channels
– Assets – manage tokenized physical assets such as gold
– Prediction / Betting markets – bet on the outcome of any event
– Insurance – insure yourself by sharing risk with a community of people
– Yield Farming – use DApp and earn token for it
How to get involved in DeFi?
– get a DeFi wallet and pick a DApp to use [guide]
– explore more resources on The DeFi List or here
– check DeFi explorers to get more data
– learn about risks and how to assess them
– read this recommendations before investing in DeFi
Use case example – what can you do in less then 15 minutes
DApp composability example – how DApp could be built like a lego
Bankless – guided rundown of crypto DeFi opportunities
DeFi Tutorials – video guides about how to use DeFi DApps
How to make DeFinancial products work for you – 6 base strategies, their variants, & what to watch for while implementing them
How Lending with DeFi Compares with Traditional Asset Classes – comparison of returns and link to a deep study of decentralized cryptoasset lending industry
Building with Money Legos – mixing and matching the tools in decentralized finance to make new products and services
Use these solutions to set up and run your own business / project on Ethereum.
Why should your business go bankless?
- Self-custody bank
Multis – crypto-first business banking
Gnosis Safe Multisig – confirm transactions by requiring multiple signatures
OpenLaw – build and manage your legal commercial relationships
Aragon – create and manage your decentralized company or organization (DAO)
How to create a bankless DAO?
Coinbase Commerce – accept payments in ETH / DAI in your app or website
Stablepay – send and receive payments converted to DAI
How to accept crypto payments?
How to record your crypto for taxes?
Economy – our economy is out of date
Stablecoins – where stablecoins are headed
DAO – create and manage your decentralized, global, censorship resistant, transparent company
Cryptoeconomics – an introduction
Run a blockchain project – seven mistakes to avoid in blockchain projects
Building DeFi DApps – things I wish I knew before building Ethereum DeFi DApps
Contributors – ten simple rules for helping newcomers become contributors to your open project
GDPR – findings on the intersection with blockchain technology
Choose one of the following options:
Use popular browser with integrated Ethereum mobile wallet with a DApp explorer and possibility of buying ETH.
Enter DApps by following these simple steps:
- choose and enter DApp, that you would like to use
- when you will be asked to connect your wallet, choose Fortmatic
- create an account by using your email address or phone number
- use chosen DApp and also many others by logging in with a same account
- as you may need some ETH by using DApps, you can buy it directly through Fortmatic
For a security of your funds please consider learning more about wallets
and best practices first.